19 September, 2011

Mix CD Trade - Tracy Burke

At the Swans show last week, Tracy surprised me with a mix cd. I spent the next two days listening to it non-stop and she gets a solid 8 on a 10 point scale. This was the completion of our deal in which she received an Elbow live disc and a mix cd that to be honest - needed a lot more art work and time - but Travis helped me out with the art aspect.

This is what Tracy gave me:
Veruca Salt - "All Mine" - a solid offering from this band that is refreshing and almost is infectious as "Seether".
Thomas Winter & Bogue - "French Love" - this was completely new to me, but I enjoyed it. A French Nick Cave singing rockabilly.
Roland Orzabal - "Day By Day By Day By Day By Day" - everything slows down on this track. He has an amazing voice, and it reminded me of something - it was familiar - but I still can't place it. Musically - there is a recent Peter Gabriel element.
Massive Attack - "Pray For Rain" - this is from their new album, and when I bought this album I was convinced it was Peter Gabriel. This is my favorite track on "Heglioland" as well as this disc. I sing this song daily.
M. Craft - "Sweets" - okay, this is where the Peter Gabriel similarities get a little too numerous. Good song and the female accompanyment is refreshing - but I was hoping for some energy at this point.
Gay Dad - "Different Kind Of Blue" - another new band for me - but they seem a little too inspired by early Radiohead. Good song - but a little uninspiring.
French Kicks - "Oh Fine" - cool song - keeping in the U.K. pop-sound vein. This sort of reminded me of Plant's "Now And Zen" or the Honeydripper's lp.
Emiliana Torrini - "Fingertips" - completely unknown to me - but Bjork influenced and similar vocal style a la "Debut". Totally dug it!
Elbow - "Suffer" - sorry Tracy - didn't like this one. Was rather flat.
Editors - "Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool (Radio Edit)" - I like the Editors, they create infectious songs and this is no exception. Rythmically pulse driven, and Gabriel-esque vocals and quirky lyrics make this song #2 for me on this disc.
Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse - "Just War, Metronomy - The Look" - I honestly don't like either of these bands individually, or collectively apparently. If I had something sharp to shove into the cd player at the point that Sparklehorse took the reigns - I may have destroyed the radio or electrocuted myself. Okay - it's not that bad - it's decent song - just a little irritating for me personally.
Broken Bells - "The Ghost Inside" - they are taking quite a hold on the music scene right now, aren't they? There's nothing wrong with that - they are quite a good band. Unique - perhaps vocally - but beyond that, it's not outside the box of old hat. Good song and fits perfectly in this compilation.
Bloc Party - "She's Hearing Voices" - this is one of those hot/cold bands. Tracy picked well, this song is on - and it's energy is a nice pick me up. The song sort of has a Hives quality.
Bad Livers - "Dancing Days" - comes at you completely from left field with rapid banjo and hee haw vocals. I sort of wish it didn't. He says "it's allright", but really - it's not.

So, all in all - a very cohesive disc up until the end - but it's okay to throw a curve ball at the end. What did Tracy get from me? Well, I can't recall the order but these were the tracks:
Basement Jaxx - Cish Cash
Blancmange - I Can't Explain
Calvin Harris - Acceptable In The 80's
Chemical Brothers (feat. Ali Love) - Do It Again
Cranes - Shining Road
Crystal Stilits - Sycamore Tree
Daucus Karota - Father Of Temptation ... you know Rozz had to be on there somewhere!
Jaill - The Stroller
Miike Snow - Animal
Munchausen By Proxy - Keystar
Naked Ape - Fashion Freak
Santogold - L.E.S. Artistes
Shriekback - Flowers Of Angst
The Creatures - Speeding
The Dead Weather - Gasoline
The December Sound - Kill Me (Before I Kill You)
The Faint - Paranoiattack
The Last Shadow Puppets - Gas Dance
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment