16 July, 2012

Broken Therapy

A weekend that de-evolved into heartbreak and a Black Heart Procession soundtrack. I decided that the day-off I planned in my head was going to be solitary and filled with the only therapy I know how to manage. Thrifting. I don't buy clothes, I buy used cds. I picked up one for someone that doesn't want anything to do with me right now, and the rest I am listing below:

Revenge Of The Flying Luttenbachers
Seriously, what in the hell is this? A 3-piece band from Chicago (I guess), and one member is pictured with football make-up and hair greased into a pair of antennae. The disc is a pentagram a la Motley Crue's, "Shout At The Devil". Of course I have to buy this freakish disc. It's dated 1996... so I wasn't sure what to expect, the Chicago music scene I knew was long dead at that point. Musically, it's a trainwreck. The opening track, Storm Of Shit is a melange of guitar, kazoos, horns, drums, and sampled sounds. Frankly, four-and-a-half minutes of it is four-and-a-half minutes too much, because Mike Patton already mastered this insanity. It does not get any better. There are no vocals apparently... I have to assume because I began skimming after the second track. Imagine my amazement to discover this band has several releases. Once again, the one disc I purchased on a whim that certainly wouldn't disappoint - is every bit a disappointment and so much more. Steer clear!

Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 2
You really can't make a mistake with this. Someone donated their entire BBC Classical Music series, and I may go back for the rest when I have the money. I am particularly drawn to Rachmaninov; of course because he is a Russian composer of whom I have an affinity, but also because of his struggles. Critically panned in his own country; his Symphony No. 1 was an utter failure, and he was forced to flee Russia during the Bolshevik Revolution and he to begin a career anew. He eventually found himself in America where he found acclaim and respect. And who wouldn't be in love with a composer who was interred in Valhalla? Seriously! This recording is conducted by Edward Downes with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra. Appropriate mood music today.

Zero Zero: A.M. Gold
This is pretty fucking upbeat, poppy, and doesn't match my mood today. I definitely can enjoy this, though it's commercial, slick feel probably means it won't find much rotation in my collection. The electronics are danceable, and never venture into any hard beats. Vocals are gentle, fuzzy and warm. This is summer day, car trip to the lake music. And it would help to not have a care in the world, including what you were listening to. If The Faint were forced into therapy, the hospital approved sound would be Zero Zero. My favorite track is, Pink And Green - it's a little funky, and makes me want to dance with the cat and go buy some rum.

Eric Hutchinson: Sounds Like This
I like Lenny Kravitz and Jamirquai too! But seriously, this is an upbeat, body swaying disc, it just isn't my thing right now. I can see this being played in my near future. I actually know someone who would likely really love this disc, and that's contributing to a lot of my sad feelings right now. This is palletable and radio-friendly (if it isn't already), and if you like Kravitz and Jamiriquai - pick this up or borrow it from me.

Sixty-Eight Pennies: Race-Car
If I had to guess, this is likely Alternative Christian Rock. Not sure where they hail from, but if today was 1999, when this recording was released, then it would already sound dated. It's light alternative rock with elements of Live and Soul Asylum.

Boiled In Lead: Silver
Uh - had no idea what to expect. But what it is is heavy doses of world folk. Upbeat, fun, and much too safe and friendly to really enjoy on any kind of level. I'd expect to find their cds at Epcot. I found the dark, seething bass lines of The Sunset enjoyable, but there's too much fodder and friendliness throughout to keep me intrigued. Another bust...

Imogen Heap: Speak For Yourself
I honestly couldn't remember if I liked Imogen Heap or not. I took the leap because the album title spoke to me. I probably don't need to describe it; this seems like the kind of thing you either are a devoted fan of or you hate it. Definitely something I think Tori fans would enjoy. I am not at all put off by it, and I can imagine finding a niche in my moods where this would be appropriate. There's elements of Tori, Fiona Apple, Eurythmics, and Bjork (musically), and it does tend to slip into a commercial, polished mainstream, but there's enough indie element to keep it genuine and sincere. And yes, this is speaking to my depression today.

The Wrens: The Meadowlands
This was a nice find. I am always in the mood for some lo-fi mellowness. I hadn't heard this particular album, but it's watch you expect from The Wrens. Quiet drums, subdued vocals, and gentle resonance. Slo-core a la Low, but at times strives for post-rock a la Mono. It's a welcome blend. Where this album breaks free from a Wrens mold are mid-tempo changes, and vocals that become border on a pained soul. This and the Imogen Heap are likely to get a lot of plays as I try to move forward.

I also picked up a promo disc of Bob Dylan Live at Carnegie Hall 1963. I know why I picked this up, and it's not because I am a Bob Dylan fan. Along with the other disc, my immediate thought was a gift. So, I will just hang on to it for now. I also found a dvd of High Fidelity. I am in no mood to laugh right now, so I will shelf that for a lighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment