07 September, 2011

Dum Dum Girls - "He Gets Me High"



I swore off this band after seeing them live earlier this year. I was so disappointed with the live performance (save the drummer who was captivating) - that I assumed this was the 'new sound' I would be treated to with any new material. I was however swayed by the release of Les Demoniaques a couple of months ago. This incredible one-track JAMC cover convinced me that I had been too hasty in my swearing off of the DDGs. What do they say about gut instincts?

I found myself in Park Ave. CDs to buy tickets for upcoming shows, and came face to face with "He Gets Me High" straddling the used bin, invitingly. Manipulatively. I added it to my collection of other used items and headed home. I put it in the cd player and immediately - I was taken right back to the concert. "FUCK!" Okay, okay - silver lining - bought it used. Gone was the lo-fi, 60's revival girl group... gone. What bothered me really - after a few listens to this e.p. - I realized that the opening track, "Wrong Feels Right" had in a sense been remade from the track that originally sucked me into DDG's web, "Dream Away Life". Sort of like spitting on someone after you just kicked their ass. I didn't even care at that point that you butchered a Smiths song - and amusingly enough - The Smiths version got stuck in my head all day. Is that because the DDG captured them so well - no, I think my brain was crawling back in on itself to find something that didn't make it hurt. I don't think I'll even bother illegally downloading the new full-length when it surfaces, that's how little love we have left in our fleeting romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment