04 January, 2011

Fields Of The Nephilim - "Laura"

I bought this cassette, new, in probably '90. I have to be honest, I had never heard of FOTN before this point, and upon listening to the tape, I wasn't a believer. "Laura" was a good song, but nothing else won me over. The tape got relegated to the dusty side of the tape racks and now and again would be pulled out to dub "Laura" onto one comp or another. I think when I saw Hardware, I once again gave the tape a listen. Still, "no!" I read this week that FOTN did some shows around Christmas throughout Germany. Made the tiny gears in my brain creak to life and spit out the thought that I should try this again. I'm sorry, it's still not there. I dig the image, hell, I even dig that this is one of those bands that to the outside observer is Sisters Of Mercy, but I'm sorry - maybe this is a horrible choice to be representative of Fields Of The Nephilim - but it isn't good. It's not dark, moody, brooding, or atmospheric, I'm pained to even call this gothic rock. Buy a 12-inch of "Laura", put on Hardware, and think about how awesome this band should be. If I am missing the magic - enlighten me, point me to a more accurate representation of The Nephilim and if I'm wrong, I'll say it.

1 comment:

  1. I never got into them. I think I heard one or two songs and didn't like either of them.

    ReplyDelete