22 November, 2010

How To Destroy Angels - "How To Destroy Angels" E.P.

For the uninitiated or those that have completely given up having an interest in the comings and goings of Trent Reznor - this is a new band built around his wife, Mariqueen as a vocalist. The band is rounded out (no pun intended) by Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Rob Sheridan. In a world where I never heard of Nine Inch Nails; or perhaps a world where I wished Trent was a woman - this would be a breathtaking, captivating introduction to the band. Sadly though, I'm all too familiar with NIN and the countless drones that wished to be them. I forgave Christian industrial-rock band, Deitiphobia for their borrowing from "Pretty Hate Machine"; I also really wanted to be in love with Android Lust - because this was essentially the first incarnation of Nine Inch Nails with a female vocalist - but it fell flat..  continues to fall flat, but the point is - I keep giving it another try. How To Destroy Angels hasn't found a formula on this release that is anymore intoxicating than Android Lust - so it too falls quite flat. Is it fair to measure an album or a band up to Nine Inch Nails or "Pretty Hate Machine", probably not. But I guess if you are going to follow a familiar path and the only seeming difference are lyrics and vocals - then you are asking for a comparison. If they came out of the gate as a Weezer-esque pop-punk band - I'd probably like it even less but I wouldn't be going on about NIN or phenomenal albums such as "PHM". So, relegate yourself to checking out the songs on YouTube or useful t-sites and spend your money on the re-release/remaster of "Pretty Hate Machine". Finally back in the loving hands of Trent Reznor!

1 comment:

  1. I downloaded this the first day they put it up for free on the NIN mailing list. I haven't even listened to it yet.

    ReplyDelete