25 January, 2011

Washed Out - Pissed Off


We headed out to Backbooth on Saturday, a last minute decision to see Washed Out. Maisy had shared some songs with me and I was excited. Doors were at 7 PM, we arrived a few minutes late; doors weren't open. In fact, despite the cold - doors didn't open for another hour. When we finally got in, we nursed two ciders a piece for another hour.

Finally - the first band made their way to the stage, Emily Reo. Of course, with lo-fi bands, you will experience a mix of tapes, electronics, and live band - Emily Reo relied heavily on pre-recorded music and disappointingly, vocals - and her actual voice lay so buried in the noise that she not only unimpressed me, she also made me annoyed that I waited two hours for her. Mercifully, she played only 3 songs.

Next up, Holiday Shores. I totally dug song one. I totally did not dig anything that followed. It was two keyboardists facing off to one another, and a drummer. Not the worst thing I've ever experienced, and May mentioned that she thought they were fair and would like to hear studio material.

The Tenant. Clearly - one of these bands is not like the others. The Tenant is odd man out. I imagined tattoo artists that should be opening for The Black Crowes - but musically, it was an odd journey.
We started out lo-fi with a tinge of rock... but then the set was turned on it's head. Midway through a hipster's wet dream of light rolicking beach fare - we went dark into Faint territory and exploded into a frenzy of breakbeat electronics bordering on techno. Last two songs were fucking awesome!

Last up, Washed Out. Mind you, I left my watch at home, but Maisy's internal clock was ticking close to alarm. Four songs in, everything is noce, the band sounds awesome, the energy is high, and we discover the venue has sold out. "We're in for a treat!", I convince myself. Then the bottom falls out. Our singer explains that he is having "computer issues, as I'm sure you noticed, so this is going to be out last song... but we're going to jam for awhile!" The pieces come together. Anyone that frequents Backbooth knows that the venue has a midnight curfew. Maisy's alarm and this bit of info from the singer puts these two puzzle pieces painfully together into a portrait of BS. If Washed Out had sucked, it might have been a blessing, or perhaps fuel my anger on this asshole trying to maintain his cool (or geeky) image by blaming his pc (probably a Mac) - but they were good and it left me wanting a longer show. I will see them again - but I will be looking down my nose at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment