21 November, 2010

Shannon Wright - "Secret Blood"

This is the second album from Shannon Wright to be released in European markets prior to a release in The States. However, that is really the only similarity between "Secret Blood" and it's predecessor, "Honeybee Girls". This album takes on much darker tones, and if this were a medicine - it would be a powerful antipsychotic with those periods between doses where the madness creeps back in. "Secret Blood" does not provide the same calm water, frivolity of "Honeybee Girls". In contrast, you are welcomed in to someone singing to you from out of their own body - abandonment, desolation, and loss paint the tone lyrically and in vocal delivery. It is a recollection to my introduction to Shannon Wright, "Flightsafety"/"Maps Of Tacit" - when emotively - she reached thru the speakers and tore your heart out. The difference here, the music doesn't reach that same aggression, the exception being "Fractured" - where she delivers an angst-driven, indie-rock powerhouse. I don't know that I'd recommend shelling out the $20+ for this import - unless like me, Shannon Wright does no wrong in your eyes/ears. If you are me then go for it, I ordered it directly from her European Distributor/Label, Vicious Circle.

3 comments:

  1. I watched an acoustic performance of her. I liked it. It looks like she has a lot of albums - where do you recommend starting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Dyed In The Wool" is my favorite, followed closely by "Let In The Light". She also was the vocalist in The Crowsdell...they were SE indie darlings for a time.

    ReplyDelete