11 March, 2011

Disc Exchange- "Ralph's Stupid Crap"

Ralph and I exchanged our discs today. Not sure what he's going to think of his, the only comment he had upon receiving it was, "I don't know any of these bands except Muddy Waters." I maybe went to obscure? Hopefully not. All Ralph really knows of my tastes are that I like Gary Numan and don't like Elbow - so I'd say he had the bigger challenge between us. He did however turn out an awesome disc filled with post-punk and new wave gems. I will cherish this for a long time and given that he used an archival 300-year disc, I can rest assured that I can still enjoy it on my deathbed, and my childern, grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great... and so on and so forth can do the same.

Here's the setlist for, Ralph's Stupid Crap:
1. Simple Minds - Theme For Great Cities
2. Clearlake - Almost THe Same (Never heard of this band but I loved the song)
3. French Kicks - Oh Fine
4. Killing Joke - Adorations
5. Magazine - Back To Nature
6. Ocean Colour Scene - Up On The Downside (I've tried to get into this band on more than once occasion, and just can't.)
7. XTC - This World Over
8. Sneaker Pimps - Superbug
9. The Chameleons - Swamp Thing
10. The Cinematics - A Strange Education
11. The Jam - Scrape Away
12. Supergrass - Prophet 15
13. The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
14. Ultravox - Slow Motion
15. Wire - In Vivo (Under recoginized and under appreciated band!)
16. The Posies - For The Ashes
17. God Is An Astronaut - From Dust To The Beyond

4 comments:

  1. Ah - cd for Ralph. What I know about Ralph is that he likes new wave, progressive, blues and jazz. Here's the songs I chose:
    1. Nobody's Baby - Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings
    2. Djilaben Rromalen (Sing People Sing) - Emir Kusturica And The No-Smoking Orchestra
    3. On An Island - David Gilmour
    4. Rollercoaster - Black Mountain
    5. Abyss Hinge 2 (The Shrinking Armature) - Kayo Dot
    6. Make - Do Make Say Think
    7. Black Capricorn Day - Jamiriquai
    8. Paradise Circus - Massive Attack
    9. Rollin' And Tumblin' - Son Of Dave
    10. Laughin' To Keep From Cryin' - Seasick Steve
    11. Making Friends - Muddy Waters
    12. The First Vietnamese War - The Black Angels
    13. Devil Town - The Builders And The Butchers
    14. Am I Wrong? - Robert Palmer
    15. Wooden Brother - Wovenhand
    16. Fashion - 'band withheld'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the CD.
    A great variety of stuff I've never heard before.
    Always enjoy discovering new music.
    A few of the instrumentals were a bit challenging...may need a few more listens on those.
    I actually thought I may have gone a bit mainstream alternative on my mix but I guess that goes back to my days as a DJ.
    Thanks again for taking the time to put that all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to give you some modern prog and see how you did with math rock (Do Make Say Think). Hopefully it didn't frighten you away from doing another exchange in the future.

    ReplyDelete